Friday, April 4, 2014

Washington Pavilion Design Challenge

Sorry for the long time without a post. I was working on my "Green Dollhouse Design" for my science project that was supposed to be on Thursday but it was rescheduled to do a snow storm. 
 I was also finishing up this other project which brings me to this question...
Looking for something to do tomorrow?
Come to the Washington Pavilion to watch the

Design Challenge

Saturday April 5th. 1:00-4:30pm
This will be my second year in the competition.
I love the event because it has to do with two things I love.

Reusing old things to build new things.

Here is a photo of me and my cousin with our winning entry from last year.
A Dr. Seuss,  Truffula Tree Planter

This year's design challenge was to build a Red Planet Rover to accomplish tasks. A group of three other friends and I entered the competition. You get points for the recycled materials you use.

Kids from kindergarten to high school compete and some groups travel to get to this competition.
It is a lot of fun, and fun to watch, and they have a lot of fun things to do while you are there too.
My group is called the Blast Off Bunch.


Update:
My group won the 3rd to 5th grade age bracket. We were able to accomplish all the tasks in our age bracket and even one more of the older age bracket. We also got perfect scores for use or our recycled materials.
Here are a few photos from the event.

We are not radio active, we just found a black light.

Getting judged on our journal, and our presentation.

Here is our photographic evidence collected in the challenge course judging area.

This is the photo my mom took as we just realized we won!
It was a great competition! No cost, super fun and you get recycle and make new things out of old.

It is great to think of new ways to use old materials to make something better.
It is actually called "Up-cycling" in the green world.


The Kids Grow Green Up-cycling Challenge!
Have you ever used something old to make something new? Try it out!
Build a piece of art, or something useful out of recycled materials and send a photo and description to kidsgrowgreensf@live.com  I will share your design ideas with others on the blog so they can reuse their things to make new things like you.
We might also have another prize for you for participating! 




No comments:

Post a Comment