Thursday, January 30, 2014

School, Sioux Empire Farmers Market and Ground Works, Oh My!

I was excited when my mom got home and told me mom a few things happened while I was at school today.
I put my mom to work this morning to make a few phone calls and send a couple emails in the daytime hours while I was at school. My mom likes to make the first contact with people because otherwise it is like I am talking to strangers and I am ok with that I am only 8 and not everyone is ready to be nice to an 8 year old.
Once she knows they are ready to listen to me, then she lets me take over. Believe it or not there are some people in this world that don't take the abilities of an 8 year old very seriously.  
So she told talked to some people about my idea and got a few emails and phone calls back in response.
 
So.. My teacher and my principal are officially on board with my idea!  I have a business lunch scheduled with them and my mom on Monday to sort out the details.
 
Also Joan from the Sioux Empire Farmer's Market has agreed for us to come an sell one day this spring. They are excited about my project and supportive of my ideas. It will be a great deal for them too for us to sell there as well because we will be bringing in our parents and friends and others who hear about the sale to their farmers market right at the beginning of their season. We help them, and they help us! Don't you love that?
Plus Linda one of the main people who are in charge of the Market, will have a booth for her garden at Ag Day too. So I will get to meet them there.
 Here is a link to the Sioux Empire Farmers Market.
 
The official sale date for the Sioux Empire Farmer's Market is yet to be determined but it will most likely be the first or second Saturday in May, I will have to talk it over with my teacher and principal to see what works best.
 
Also my mom got to talk to a guy today named Tim from Ground Works South Dakota. Ground Works is a non-profit organization here in South Dakota that brings gardens to schools. Hayward and Lowell elementary schools have gardens / greenhouses put in by Ground works. The gardens are great because they teach kids about growing just like my project, and lets people who live by the school have some of the healthy food from the gardens.
 
Announcement:
Ground Works is our first official Fund Raising Beneficiary. This means that Ground Works is on our list of a possible three, as a Local Green Cause we will vote to give some of our profits from our sales to. Other causes are yet to be determined and my class will get to vote to see what percent each group gets. That's the plan anyway we will see what happens. I for sure wanted Ground Works on the list they help schools of kids like us, and we can help them.
 
Here is a link to Ground Works
 
Tim was excited to hear about my project and has invited me to a fundraising event on April 23th held at Landscape Garden Centers. There he will tell everyone about my project. I am a little nervous about how many people might be there, but more people will come to our sale!
 
PS. I had my mom type this post for me because there was a lot to say and that is a lot of typing.
Once my friends start the project, they will get to write some posts too.

No comments:

Post a Comment